Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Galilee Day Gimmel


Monday’s field study explored the immediate region around the Galilee. We started our day at Hippus (Hebrew, Susita). There we explored through the Roman road and the other buildings made of Basalt. We also discussed the passage in Luke regarding the Prodigal Son. This passage in particular grabs at my heart each time. Growing up with a father that did not always show just how much he loved us in ways that I or my sister could understand, this passage blows my mind. The passion the father has for the son and in parallel the passion God has for us, his children, astounds me. Growing up not knowing God but going through moments that I can now look back on and distinctly see God calling me to Him, brings a vivid picture to my mind of this parable. It is very near and dear to my heart.
After Hippus we hopped on a boat and crossed the Galilee. It was incredible to be upon the water looking around the lake. It was interesting to learn about the different types of fishing and to compare them to the different disciple’s occupations. I enjoyed learning about that! Once we arrived on the other side of the lake, we entered in a place where parts of a 2000 year old boat were displayed.
Then we made our way to Karazim to see some more basalt ruins where we learned about the new homes that were being established at the time. They were known as Insula or Beth Av (Father’s House). There was a courtyard surrounded by rooms of the different family members who had gone to make families of their own. It was interesting. We also learned about the Synagogue there. It was a very elaborate building. There is something called the seat of Moses which I got to sit in. This is where the reader of the Torah selection for that time sat after the reading to discuss and exegete the passage.
After Korazim we traveled to Capernaum. Capernaum was amazing! This is Jesus’ hometown. Besides the rain, there were lots of interesting things there including the possible “house of Peter”, a Byzantine church, and a synagogue. This may be part of the same synagogue that Jesus preached in. The location of Capernaum is at the center of several cultures. This is remarkable because Jesus placed himself in a location ideal for interaction with all sorts of people, setting an example to his followers for the great commission.
Then we went over to the hill where the Sermon on the Mount was most likely given by Jesus. We walked along the hill and part way down and read aloud the passage in Matthew. It was amazing to be able to see Hippus and Magdala and think about the concepts of the salt and light. Jesus says we are to be like a light on a hill (like Hippus) and be the salt of the earth (Mgdala has a salt industry). It was very cool!
Finally, we went back to the cliffs of Arbel where I climbed down a cliff and hiked back up. I am terribly impressed with myself, especially since I am so afraid of heights.

No comments: